Vatfree.com Privacy Statement
We at vatfree.com value your privacy and take your data security seriously. In this Privacy Statement we explain which data we process when you use our service(s), why we need these data and how we use and secure them.
This Privacy Statement applies when you sign up for or use our services through our website, mobile application or any other means offered by our retail partners (such as a tax-free form).
1. Which data do we process?
We need certain personal information in order to provide our service. When you apply for a VAT refund, we will collect and process the following data:
- Full name;
- Gender (male, female, other);
- Address outside the EU, at least the city and country you live in;
- Passport number and expiration date;
- Birth date;
- Email address;
- Mobile phone number;
- Payment information (SEPA bank account / credit card number / PayPal account);
- Copy of your passport and/or visa proving non-EU residency. Sensitive personal information such as your photo and personal identity number are always masked;
- The submitted purchases receipts.
The information above may be (partially) provided to us by our retail partners, if you apply for a VAT refund directly to them. In these cases, vatfree.com will be the responsible data controller.
If you use our mobile application, we receive your location to help you find shops nearby. We only receive your location if you have enabled “location sharing” in your application settings. Location sharing can be disabled at any time in your phone and application settings. Please note that you might not be able to use all functionalities offered in the application.
2. What do we use your data for?
We use your data solely for the purpose they have been collected for and to meet legal requirements. We use data to:
- Provide our services to you. To facilitate the VAT refund, we need to establish that you meet the legal requirements for reimbursement. These requirements are established by, and formalised in, European and Dutch tax law. Full name, city and country of residence, passport number and a copy of your passport and/or visa are the minimum requirements to prove non-EU residency and thereby eligibility for VAT refund. Your payment details are used to transfer the refund to you.
- Communicate with you. We use your data to communicate with you about our services via e-mail, push notification or text message. We will update you about the status of your refund and confirm when the reimbursement has taken place en the payment to you has been transferred.
- Provide customer support. In case you contact our customer service, we may use your personal information to track the status of your refund, your payment or to trouble shoot any technical issues you might experience.
- Keep you informed. We keep you informed about our services, those of our partners and and provide you with general updates about tax-free shopping through our newsletter. You have the right to unsubscribe yourself from this information provision at any time. To do so, use the “unsubscribe” button at the bottom of the newsletter or contact our customer service to do this for you.
- Execute general business processes. In order to manage our business, we use data for management reporting and to measure quality standards and administration.
3. Sharing your data with third parties
We share your personal information with third parties for operational purposes and to meet legal requirements. We may share your data with:
- Shop owners and/or shop administrations to enable them to process the VAT reimbursement;
- Service providers under contract for operational purposes, such as server hosts, payment service providers and marketing partners. All of our contracts with these parties strictly dictate that your information is only used to perform their services to us;
- Local tax authorities, in case local tax authorities perform a turnover tax inspection at a store you have purchased goods, the information regarding your tax-free purchase will be shared with the tax inspector if requested.
- Other third parties with your explicit consent or direction to do so.
4. Storing and securing your data
All of your data is stored on SSL-certified servers. For extra security, your personal information is stored separately from your uploaded files. These files are encrypted and can only be accessed when logged in.
If you do not use our service within 2 years, your account will automatically become inactive.
5. Your rights
Through your vatfree.com account you can access and update your personal information. You can unsubscribe from newsletters at any time. If we have processed data based on your consent you have the right to withdraw this consent whenever you want. If there is certain data you are unable to correct or erase, please contact us via [email protected].
Data access and portability
You have the right to receive an overview of all data we have from you. Upon request, this will be sent to you or any party you would prefer as a JSON file.
Deletion of your data (right to be forgotten)
You have the right to have your data deleted, with the exception of data we are legally required to keep in our archives. If you have a completed VAT refund request, we are legally obligated to keep your NCP- details (Name, Country, Passport number), a masked copy of your passport and/or visa and a copy of your purchase receipt for the duration of seven years. If you would like to have your data removed, please contact our customer service via [email protected]. We will respond to this request within 30 days.
6. Legal basis for processing data
We only collect and process your data if we have a legal basis to do so. The following bases are applicable:
- Processing is necessary to execute our agreement with you.
- Processing is necessary to meet a legal requirement. We are required to keep some of your data for administrative purposes after a VAT refund.
- Processing is necessary for the representation of your justified corporate interests. In order to be able to perform our operational activities and to improve our services
- Processing is based on your explicit consent to do so. F.e., if you have given us permission to share your data with our partners to provide you with personalised offers.
7. Legal entity / contact us
Vatfree.com is a brand of VATFREE NL BV, Nieuwendammerkade 28a14, 1022 AB Amsterdam, The Netherlands. VATFREE NL BV is registered under the Dutch Chamber of Commerce with number 3427505.